Thursday, January 2, 2014

From Grass to Gluttony


From Grass to Gluttony
I read where it became official today…You can now legally buy marijuana in Colorado, as long as you are 21 or older.  You can read all about it here:
The article itself is pretty interesting, but it was the pictures that captured my attention.  The people in the picture were pumped!  I saw that same look on people’s faces the last time I was at Krispy Kreme Donuts and the “Hot Now” light came on.  Total rapture!
Which brings me to another article I read today in Relevant magazine.  This article hit a little closer to home.  It was about gluttony.  Honestly, I have never smoked weed, and don’t plan to.  But hot Krispy Kreme donuts…  Anyway, here’s the article:

I like this definition of gluttony, which was offered in the article:

At its simplest, gluttony is the soul’s addiction to excess. It occurs when taste overrules hunger, when want outweighs need. And in America, where upsizing has always been part of the American dream, it’s often difficult to distinguish what is hard-earned achievement and what is indulgent excess. In this sense, even the most athletic and toned among us can be gluttons. Any of us can be.

It’s hard for me to be critical for the wild-eyed people in the weed store in Colorado, even though, from what I’ve read, smoking pot is hazardous to your health.  Is it more hazardous than drinking an alcoholic beverage?  Depends on who you ask…  Is it more hazardous than an overweight, middle-aged man with a family history of heart disease ordering a bacon-egg-and-cheese biscuit at the drive thru of Hardees?  Are you feeling this yet?

Maybe the real issue here is our tendency to “otherize” problems.  The skinny guy buying pot in Colorado says, “At least I’m not fat.”  The chubby guy in the Hardees drive thru says, “At least I’m not a drug user.”  And me?  I think I’ll go look in the mirror and see if I can’t get that log out of my eye now.

No comments:

Post a Comment