Saturday, January 11, 2014

Hyperstandism


Stand.  /stænd/ “To stop or remain motionless.  To be set, placed, fixed, located, or sitauated. To maintain a position.  To resist change.  A determined effort for or against something, especially a final defensive effort.”

Sometimes one needs to “take a stand.”  I get that.  Popeye takes it and takes it from Bluto, and finally says, “That’s all I can stand, ‘cause I can’t stand no more,” and the he eats a can of spinach and saves Olive Oyl.  Way to go!  That being said, I think there is a general epidemic of “hyperstandism” going around.  Lines are being drawn in the sand over everything.  It’s almost as if something’s wrong with you if you’re not “taking a stand.”  “I stand with Phil,” a bunch of people put on social media after the blowup with the Duck Dynasty dad’s interview with GQ.  It’s like, “Conservative Christian values, the American dream, and freedom of speech are being challenged!  To arms!”  In the opposite corner was the GLAAD team, saying, “We must stop these ignorant rednecks from attacking gays.  Kick Phil off the show!”  I wanted to tell both sides to take a chill pill.

Another example is the upcoming throwdown between Ken Ham (who has a creationism museum) and Bill Nye the Science Guy.  They are holding a debate on February 4.  Ken Ham says, "This year, our AiG theme is 'Standing Our Ground, Rescuing Our Kids.' Having the opportunity to hold a cordial but spirited debate with such a well-known personality who is admired by so many young people will help bring the creation/evolution issue to the attention of many more people, including youngsters."  Bill Nye says, “If we raise a generation of students who don't believe in the process of science, who think everything that we've come to know about nature and the universe can be dismissed by a few sentences translated into English from some ancient text, you're not going to continue to innovate.”


My problem with this is the implication that all Christians should move over to Ken Ham’s corner, and anyone who likes Bill Nye is obviously an atheist…or even worse – a liberal.  My problem with the whole “Duck” thing is the taking of sides.  I kind of like the show, but I’m not particularly fond of racism or homophobia.  I believe in freedom of speech, and I also believe that our words carry consequences.  Back to the Ham vs. Nye debate - I believe God created and creates, and I also value science.  Can’t I believe in creation and in evolution?  Can’t I watch Duck Dynasty and still love my gay friends and be thankful for civil rights? 

Absolutely I can, and you can too!  Here’s the thing about too many “stands.”  Having too many of them tends to inhibit the evolution that needs to take place as we grow and mature (yes, I meant to say evolution).  One of the definitions of “stand” is to resist change.  But things do change, don’t they?  Our world…the environment…opinions, even… change all the time.

Here’s my stand on stands:  Everyone should have a few, non-negotiable principles that they live by.  There are some battlefields worth dying on.  But please, people…don’t turn everything into the Iron Bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment