Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Gimme Three Steps


One of my professors in my DMin. Program, Frank Green, told our class a story about when he went to see the Grand Canyon.  He said they had an observation platform, and he wanted to look over the edge…but he was afraid.  So he got on his hands and knees and crawled up and peered over the edge. (Some of you are thinking, “How dumb,” and some of you are thinking, “How brave!)

Frank said it occurred to him at that moment that we are all 2 steps away from “the abyss.”  What he means is that we are all about 2 bad decisions away from wrecking our lives.  For instance – deciding to have too much to drink, and then deciding to get behind the wheel.  Two steps away – at any given time…  He told us this not to bring us down, but to remind us how close we live to the edge, and to remind us how important that margin is…those two steps.

Did you see the video from last week of the crazy Alabama fan who got in a fight with an Oklahoma fan after the Sugar Bowl.  Maybe you are one of the 2.7 million people who have already seen this, but if not…here you go: 

So anyway, I was thinking about this crazy Alabama fan today as I was pondering my own actions after my team (the Auburn Tigers) lost the National Championship game last night.  I was pretty ticked off when we lost.  I knew that I should have said, “Wow, we have had a great season!  What a privilege it is to get to play in the National Championship game!  Our team played hard and gave it their best, but just fell a little short.  We’ll get ‘em next year.”  I should have said that.  Instead, I grumped around the house like Frankenstein with hemorrhoids, until I could finally pull myself out of attitude nosedive. 

What is the difference between me and the crazy Alabama fan?  About two steps.  If I had been at the game and had decided to have several beers and decided to bet money on the game and lost it, and there was a smartass Florida State fan in front of me taunting me, and they were doing that obnoxious tomahawk chop thing (it is not obnoxious when I do it at a Braves game, but when Seminole fans do it, it causes homicidal thoughts)…  If all those factors had been in play, it could have been me going sailing through the air and getting 2.7 million views on youtube, etc…  Except if I had done it, it would not have been cute or even funny.  It would have just been sad and embarrassing. 

Lynard Skynard has a song I have always liked called Gimme Three Steps.  I’ve never thought about that song in terms of being a prayer until now.  It seems to fit.  The prayer might go like this:  “Gimme Three Steps, Lord.  Keep me three steps from the abyss, not two.  I know I’m not always my best self, but help me to catch myself before I step over the edge.  Keep me aware and alert.  There are people who are counting on me.  Gimme three steps, Lord.  Amen.”

1 comment:

  1. I have confronted the abyss many times in my life, too frequently going over the edge. I can only thank God for His mercy in seeing fit to keep me from getting into the zone of no return. Each time I think I learned something about myself - not enough to keep me from repeating the mistake but still a growing experience. Even now I can see places in my life where I dance too close to the edge. I just have to keep praying that the Lord will give me 3 steps - I certainly need them on a daily basis. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete